[DWJ] OT: Diana Hendry

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 00:58:06 EDT 2006

On 7/12/06, Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at proffitt.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 23:36:34 -0400 (EDT), deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Irina Rempt wrote:
> >
> >|I've always had a similar problem with _The Rainbow Fish_: give away the
> >|thing that makes you stand out in order to make everybody absolutely
> >|equal, so nobody is at all special any more.
> >
> >This is precisely why I *hate* the Rainbow Fish.  Instead of
> >finding what's beautiful about all the fish, the one special fish
> >has to rip apart his own body to make friends.
>
> Ditto that.  I don't let the kids read it.  They're all "but it's so
> PRETTY
> and look at the sparkly foil" and I tell them it's Satan's plaything.

This is also the reason I hate "The Giving Tree." When I ran the children's
department of a book store I would keep as few of these on the shelf as I
possibly could, sometimes hide them, and never - never - recommend it or
point it out unless someone asked for it specifically.

Ugh. What a horrible message.

widdy

--
Love doesn't just sit there, like a stone, it has to be made, like bread,
remade all the time, made new.
iwriddell at gmail.com / riddell at perfectharmonychorus.org