[DWJ] Off topic: Recommendation for first Charles de Lint novel?

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Wed Jul 12 06:43:44 EDT 2006

Juliette asked:

> People on this list have often praised Charles de Lint's novel but I
> have never been able to get into any of them myself. I suspect the
> fault is with me, not him, and want to try again. Which is the best
> book to start with?

Different people like different writers.  Don't think it's your fault if
you don't like CdL!

I do.  My favourites are "The Little Country" (Unlike Minnow, I wasn't
put off by the wrong geographical and other details of England, despite
coming from Somerset) and "Someplace to be Flying"

Unlike several people who have replied, I want to put in a _negative_
recommendation for "Memory and Dream".  I've read it twice, and disliked
it both times.  Really gruesome horror scenes, and issues of honesty and
truth that are raised but not tackled.  The fantasy basis for the book
is interesting, but doesn't compensate.  Some books are not for some
people.

> ObDWJ: DWJ likes CdL's work and has often praised it.
> Juliette

And vice versa.  Years ago, at the height of the Harry Potter craze,
someone posted to this list a copy of an article by CdL in which he
wondered why the HP books got all the fans when DWJ, who is just as good
[and then some, IMO!], was still virtually unknown.

Philip.
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432