[DWJ] Off topic: Recommendation for first Charles de Lint novel?

shawyer at mail.utexas.edu shawyer at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jul 11 09:24:00 EDT 2006

My first Charles de Lint was _Jack the Giant Killer_, an early short novel.
I was about 13 and it was just what I needed: a fact-paced urban fantasy with
two strong, fun, and real female protagonists at a time when I was despairing
about the lack of strong women in fantasy in general. It's a quick read, and
fun, and written for a slightly younger audience than some of his others. You
can see some of the seams in this one, but that's all part of the enjoyment as
you can see he's working out how the "real" and "fantasy" worlds collide.
(There's a sort-of-sequel called _Drink Down the Moon_ that you can find with
_Jack_in a combined volume called _Jack of Kinrowan_.)
BTW, if you ever get a chance to attend a Charles de Lint reading, I recommend
it--one of the best author readings I've been to: full of music and story
telling.
Sue

Quoting deborah.dwj at suberic.net: