[DWJ] Off topic: Recommendation for first Charles de Lint novel?

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Jul 11 06:27:31 EDT 2006

In <44B32E0D.7030905 at harvestroad.com>, Juliette Curtis wrote:
>People on this list have often praised Charles de Lint's novel but I
>have never been able to get into any of them myself. I suspect the fault
>is with me, not him, and want to try again. Which is the best book to
>start with?

The subject line says it, for me, or nearly so: start with one of the
early ones.  I am not at home and can't off-hand remember titles, but I
sought out the first half-dozen or so, and then gradually stopped
bothering to find the new ones the moment they appeared.

Mild advisory comment: Whichever one it is that is set in a Cornwall
that isn't got right isn't a good one if you happen to know the
south-west of England, because the wrong-England-ness niggles, but I'm
told that it works perfectly well for anyone who doesn't know (or
doesn't care) that the setting is misinterpreted.  It put *me* out, but
I wouldn't say the book was bad there for, just that I was peevish
about it.

Minnow