[DWJ] Off topic: Recommendation for first Charles de Lint novel?

Tue Jul 11 02:27:33 EDT 2006

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 12:50:21 +0800, Juliette Curtis wrote:

>People on this list have often praised Charles de Lint's novel but I
>have never been able to get into any of them myself. I suspect the fault
>is with me, not him, and want to try again. Which is the best book to
>start with?
>ObDWJ: DWJ likes CdL's work and has often praised it.
>Juliette

I think he's better at short fiction than novels, myself.  He has several
collections of stories that are very good:  _Dreams Underfoot_...someone
else will list the others, it's late and my brain is tired.  They're set in
his fictional world of Newford.  So are some of his novels.  I liked
_Someplace To Be Flying_ and _Trader_ a lot.  I haven't read any of his more
recent stuff because, to be honest, he and I are not a match.  He has a
wonderful way of immersing you in his world of musicians and artists and
bohemian folk, but after a while I become aware that there's no way I'd ever
really fit into that world, and the disconnect is too much for comfort.  But
I really admire his work.

Melissa Proffitt