[DWJ] list for book

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Jul 7 18:09:00 EDT 2006

Elizabeth:

>  > Reading it atm, as it happens.  (V. funny on all the teachers forcing
>>  _The Catcher in the Rye_ down their throats.)  But for the cursing,
>>  KD doesn't come near _Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist_, which
>>  almost rivals the way we talked in school.  (And that was a fairly
>>  rough school in *Dublin*, so it's saying something.  I wouldn't
>>  recommend N&NIP, personally, but that has nothing to do with the
>>  language.)
>
>Could you enlarge on why not? People on the US Child Lit list have been
>enthusing about it.

I hadn't seen it on that list so much (just because I can't read all
messages), but other places I have (though the enthusing hasn't been
entirely universal).  Not saying that I would recommend anyone avoid
it, mind.  Overall I thought the writing was very uneven, with some
passages verging on the ridiculous.  But as well as that I felt that
underneath its cooler-than-cool surface it was surprisingly
reactionary in a way that annoyed me on behalf of the teen readers.

I wrote a bit more about it on my LJ, and could send you the link
offlist - and would be happy to send you the book so you could see
what you think yourself without having to jump through hoops to get a
copy, if you'd like.

Hallie