[DWJ] list for book

rohina at shaw.ca rohina at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 7 13:11:02 EDT 2006

> To bring this back on topic, I vote for _Witch Week_,
> definitely.  We are trying to recruit readers, and the
> Harry Potter crowd is quite a large one.  Besides the
> fact that it is quite good, and subversive, like all
> good teen lit.  Remember the interrogation room?  It
> was the *kids* who described all the torture/SMBD
> apparatuses [apparati?] in that room!

I think Witch Week is too young for a teen audience, and when I taught
it, it was not well received by the pro-Potter faction. I think maybe
that might be true for younger readers, although I am not sure. I think
Deep Secret is  a good choice, or Dark Lord of Derkholm, if you are
appealing to teen readers who like fantasy already.

A friend of mine who is a teacher in Melbourne used Deep Secret as a
text for one of her classes, and said that it was quite popular (I think
it was a year 9 class).

robyn