[DWJ] list for book

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Jul 7 07:27:09 EDT 2006

Deborah:

>On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Mark Allums wrote:
>|Yes such books exist, but more from ignorance of parents
>|than tolerance.  Although that's changing.  I mostly
>|remember as a teen reading things like _Catcher In the Rye_
>|and thinking how wicked I was being reading such a book
>|that uses such language.  That dates me, of course.  (I'm
>|40.)
>
>Eh, I've got a shelf full or YA books chock full of drugs, sex,
>rock n roll, and even a fair amount of cursing.  YA is not a
>sweet genre anymore.
>
>And on that note, I should recommend Frank Portman's _King Dork_.
>Freakin' awesome.

Reading it atm, as it happens.  (V. funny on all the teachers forcing
_The Catcher in the Rye_ down their throats.)  But for the cursing,
KD doesn't come near _Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist_, which
almost rivals the way we talked in school.  (And that was a fairly
rough school in *Dublin*, so it's saying something.  I wouldn't
recommend N&NIP, personally, but that has nothing to do with the
language.)

I was trying to find the definitive list of changes made to _Deep
Secret_ for the US YA edition, but couldn't.  Christian did mention
several changes to language, but didn't find anything much stronger
than 'shit' and 'testicles'.  Oh, and 'erotic' went out too, IIRC.
Thinking about that bowdlerizing with the abundance of YA books as
Deborah describes, I wonder whether things have changed that much in
the YA world in the four years or so since that came out.  Or, and I
think this much more likely myself,  whether it was done because DS
was a *fantasy* novel and the editor was hoping to stick it in the
kiddie section and catch some of the HP-fanatics-needing-a-fix
dollars.

Hallie