[DWJ] list for book

Mark Allums mallums at tyler.net
Thu Jul 6 20:31:51 EDT 2006

Elizabeth G. Holtrop wrote:
>   I feel sure I've run into some teen books with the f-word.
   Unless  they were all adult books that I read as a teen?  I
wish I could  remember.  In any case, the f-word may put off
parents, but  speaking quite honestly, its presence in a book
was enough to raise my  opinion of the book when I was a teen.
Okay, granted, I was a bit  of an intellectual rebel, and it's
probably not a good criterion to use  for list selection in any case....

>   E.

Yes such books exist, but more from ignorance of parents
than tolerance.  Although that's changing.  I mostly
remember as a teen reading things like _Catcher In the Rye_
and thinking how wicked I was being reading such a book
that uses such language.  That dates me, of course.  (I'm
40.)

To bring this back on topic, I vote for _Witch Week_,
definitely.  We are trying to recruit readers, and the
Harry Potter crowd is quite a large one.  Besides the
fact that it is quite good, and subversive, like all
good teen lit.  Remember the interrogation room?  It
was the *kids* who described all the torture/SMBD
apparatuses [apparati?] in that room!

--Mark Allums