[DWJ] list for book

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Jul 6 17:03:09 EDT 2006

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Dorian E. Gray wrote:

> Jadwiga said...
>
> >> Fire and Hemlock
> >
> > I'd replace this with Hexwood, as it is less confusing for the beginning
> > DWJ reader.
>
> "Hexwood" is *less* confusing than "Fire and Hemlock"?!  Your brain must
> work in a *very* different way from mine!  I found "Hexwood" insanely
> confusing on first read, and only my trust in DWJ as a writer kept me going.

Heh, that was pretty much my exact thought on reading Jadwiga's e-mail.
"Fire and Hemlock" is extremely accessible until you get to the confusing
ending, especially because Polly *is* a regular girl living in an everyday
situation. Sorta.

"Hexwood" became my favorite DWJ book the first time I read it, but it's
because I think it's so wonderful and complicated that I won't let anyone
read it (if they're reading DWJ through borrowing my books or simply
asking me for recommendations) until they've read practically everything
else. I think it would break my heart if someone decided they didn't like
DWJ on the basis of "Hexwood."