[DWJ] list for book

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Thu Jul 6 08:30:29 EDT 2006

I always start by recommending Witch Week, Charmed Life, or
Howl's Moving Castle, though it's true that Witch Week and
Charmed Life aren't necessarily the best recommendation for
teenagers. Fire and Hemlock is either a person's favorite or they
don't particularly care for it (although I've made this assertion
on this list before, and exceptions have waved their hands and
said "hello"), so I think it should be on the list. It's not one
of my favorites by any means, but it is for so many people. On
the other hand, Homeward Bounders got right into my heart when I
was a teenager and didn't let go, and I think Archer's Goon is
one of the cleverest.

So maybe my list would be:

Fire and Hemlock
Howl's Moving Castle
Homeward Bounders
Archer's Goon

And for the fifth spot, choose among Charmed Life (if you don't
mind going a little bit younger), Witch Week  (if you want to
draw in the Harry Potter crowd, because I've found Witch Week is
splendid at that), or something else. I often give people Tough
Guide or Derkholm, but I'm making recommendations to fantasy
readers, and it sounds like the very nature of your chapter is
that you're making recommendations to non-fantasy readers.

I would suggest Deep Secret for teenagers except that your review
is of Merlin Conspiracy, which makes it a little bit redundant.

What a wonderful dilemma to have.

-deborah
--
Ye knowe ek, that in forme of speche is chaunge
Withinne a thousand yere, and wordes tho