[DWJ] list for book

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu Jul 6 05:59:27 EDT 2006

Don't envy you the decision-making, Lili!

I agree with Fire and Hemlock (neither of my two found it too
confusing at the very young end of teendom, though admittedly I read
it to them), Howl's Moving Castle and Archer's Goon.

As others have said, Dogsbody seems much too young, as does A Tale of
Time City.  Charmed Life too, though as Charlie pointed out, not
having any Chrestomanci book would be odd.

Deep Secret would be brilliant (and was the top pick of favourites at
the London meet!), and I also think Hexwood might be good.  Or - just
to throw a completely different possibility out - what about Tough
Guide?  If the teens are dipping in the fantasy section they're going
to have enough exposure to the genre to get a lot of it, and
non-fiction would obviously increase your range.  (But I wouldn't
second the Dark Lord vote.  Admittedly based on a non-random sampling
with a sample-size of one.)

Hope we get to hear the final choice.

Hallie