[DWJ] Date notation

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sun Jul 2 16:04:48 EDT 2006

On Jul 2, 2006, at 1:16 PM, Charles Butler wrote:

> George M Cohan didn't claim to be 'born on July 4th' all those
> years ago - though perhaps he just needed a rhyme for 'die.'
> (*Are* there any rhymes for 'fourth'? 'From my Yankeeness I
> will not morph' doesn't really cut it.)

The holiday is called the "Fourth of July".  Or Independence Day.

I don't know how long this has been the case, though ....

But wait!

A moment with the Internet reveals the following:

... a quotation from the Virginia Gazette on July 18th, 1777: "Thus
may the 4th of July, that glorious and ever memorable day, be
celebrated through America, by the sons of freedom, from age
to age till time shall be no more. Amen and Amen."

So it's been around a while.

And speaking of Bristol, here's something from Wikipedia:

The town of Bristol, Rhode Island is noted for having the oldest,
continuous Independence Day celebration in the United States.

The cry has been that when war is declared, all opposition should
therefore be hushed.  A sentiment more unworthy of a free country
could hardly be propagated.  If the doctrine be admitted, rulers have
only to declare war and they are screened at once from scrutiny ...
In war, then, as in peace, assert the freedom of speech and of the
press.  Cling to this as the bulwark of all our rights and privileges.

                                                                     --
William Ellery Channing