the curate's egg was [DWJ] Best Of.

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sat Jan 28 09:45:52 EST 2006

On Jan 27, 2006, at 11:42 PM, Paul Andinach wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Otter Perry wrote:
>
>> You know the definition of a pedant, right?  Pedants make
>> distinctions you do not think important.
>
> No, no, that's hair-splitters.
>
> (I am myself both a pedant and a hair-splitter, but I don't usually
> insist on the distinction, since it is of interest only to other
> pedants and hair-splitters.)

Shoot.  I have a _degree_ in hair-splitting.  It says "liberal arts" on
the diploma [well, it says it in Latin], but, believe me, it was
hair-splitting.

My point is that it's not pedantry -- no matter what anybody else
says -- if the distinction is important.

Returning briefly to the curate's egg, I'm glad for the authority
of the OED, but in my family, we came up with the expression
ourselves.  Yet another case of folks being original but not
unique.