the curate's egg was [DWJ] Best Of.

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Fri Jan 27 14:26:33 EST 2006

Oh, yeah.  I'm a native speaker.  The real problem here is that
Minnow didn't get to me soon enough in life to make me a purist
about this.

Which reminds me ...

You know the definition of a pedant, right?  Pedants make
distinctions you do not think important.  [This is not, despite
the accident of contiguity, a criticism of Minnow, who is one
of my idols.]  Therefore, one is never oneself a pedant.

On Jan 27, 2006, at 12:01 PM, Otter Perry wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2006, at 5:00 AM, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>
>> Calling something a "curate's egg" is calling it completely useless,
>> bad all through.
>
> Depends on who you are, I guess.  _I_ use it to mean parts of it
> are excellent.
>
> Of course, I know a bad egg is bad throughout, but ....

- Treat the Earth well.
    It was not given to you by your parents.
    It was loaned to you by your children.

                   - Kenyan proverb