the curate's egg was [DWJ] Best Of.

Elizabeth Bentley elizabeth at wardrobe-on-the-web.com
Fri Jan 27 14:15:19 EST 2006

On 27/1/06 19:01, "Otter Perry" <ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com> wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2006, at 5:00 AM, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>
>> Calling something a "curate's egg" is calling it completely useless,
>> bad all through.
>
> Depends on who you are, I guess.  _I_ use it to mean parts of it
> are excellent.
>
> Of course, I know a bad egg is bad throughout, but ....

The Oxford Dictionary of Idioms defines a curate's egg as something of very
mixed character, partly good and partly bad.

I guess that whatever an bad egg is actually like, a curate's egg is seen as
mixed.

EB
Elizabeth Bentley
mailto:elizabeth at wardrobe-on-the-web.com

School Librarians Network is a forum where UK school librarians (and MROs
and support staff) can exchange news, views and ideas and give each other
mutual support.