[DWJ] Re: the curate's egg

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Jan 27 08:38:20 EST 2006

In <200601271429.04494.irina at valdyas.org>, Irina Rempt wrote:
>I was also afraid that people (not you in particular) would immediately
>jump on the fact that I'm not a native speaker, however little it
>usually shows, and blame that for the gaffe.

Would you believe that I hadn't recalled that you aren't English?  I
don't.  You write better English than I do, mostly, so it's easy to
forget.

I do know *four* native speakers who got that one right *before* I
jumped up and down and screamed about it in their presence.  There are
probably four million who get it wrong, and the rest probably don't know
it exists.

obDWJ, she was one of the four.

Minnow