the curate's egg was [DWJ] Best Of.

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri Jan 27 07:00:36 EST 2006

In <8127abadb38c8a0825b5766a46ddd232 at silverwinggraphics.com>, Otter Perry wrote:

>On Jan 26, 2006, at 2:08 PM, Irina Rempt wrote:
>
>> Yes, me too; but I rather like _Twisting the Rope_ too. Bit of a
>> curate's egg, though; parts of it are excellent and parts are just too
>> much. Too much of what I can't lay my finger on, I'd have to reread it
>> for that and the reread pile is a foot high as it is.
>

>Oooooh!  I fall at the feet of anyone who can describe something
>as a "curate's egg."
>
>[For those who are not familiar with the origin of this phrase,
>  there was a cartoon in Punch in the nineteenth century, one
>  of those with an ornate drawing and several lines of dialogue.]
>
>[The picture is of the bishop's breakfast table.  The bishop
>  says to the curate, "I'm afraid, Mr. Smith [or whatever], that
>  have gotten a bad egg.]
>
>["I assure you, your grace, parts of it are excellent."]

It is entitled "True Humility".

The point being that a boiled egg is never slightly bad: if it's bad at
all it's bad all through and well-nigh inedible.  It also smells
horrible, which is how the bishop would have known it was bad.

The curate, afraid of his bishop and particularly of his bishop's wife,
(who appears in the picture, and I don't blame him for being afraid of
her!) cannot bring himself to say "Yes, your grace, it's inedible" or
ask for another.  He's eating something disgusting because he's in awe
of his superior, and pretending that it's not that bad really.  He'll
probably be sick later.

Calling something a "curate's egg" is calling it completely useless,
bad all through.

Minnow