the curate's egg was [DWJ] Best Of.

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Thu Jan 26 19:56:53 EST 2006

On Jan 26, 2006, at 2:08 PM, Irina Rempt wrote:

> Yes, me too; but I rather like _Twisting the Rope_ too. Bit of a
> curate's egg, though; parts of it are excellent and parts are just too
> much. Too much of what I can't lay my finger on, I'd have to reread it
> for that and the reread pile is a foot high as it is.

Oooooh!  I fall at the feet of anyone who can describe something
as a "curate's egg."

[For those who are not familiar with the origin of this phrase,
  there was a cartoon in Punch in the nineteenth century, one
  of those with an ornate drawing and several lines of dialogue.]

[The picture is of the bishop's breakfast table.  The bishop
  says to the curate, "I'm afraid, Mr. Smith [or whatever], that
  have gotten a bad egg.]

["I assure you, your grace, parts of it are excellent."]

For me, there is one central question in
the whole gay marriage controversy:  What
do you care? .... I have only this advice to
offer those of you who oppose gay marriage:
don't marry a homosexual.

                      - Beth Quinn, Times Herald-Record