[DWJ] Best Of.

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Thu Jan 26 13:32:10 EST 2006

Otter:

>>3. Unexpected wonder: Tea With The Black Dragon, by R. A. MacAvoy.
>>Anyone else read this? I loaned it from Kathleen, who demanded it
>>be read. I would like to pass on the recommendation... Yay! I just
>>found out that there's others, including a sequel! (It occurs to me
>>that you've all probably heard of it, as it won and was up for many
>>awards in the 1980s). Zen and computers, corporate crime,
>>kidnappings and romance, exquisitely and neatly described, and all
>>in a leeetle book.
>
>I have just reread this, as it happens.  It _is_ wonderful.
>
>I think my favorite MacAvoys -- certainly the ones I reread most
>frequently -- are _Lens of
>the World_, _King of the Dead_, and _Belly of the Wolf_.  The ones I
>have never reread --
>although I am starting now -- are the Damiano trilogy.  I plan to
>find out if I really don't
>like them as much or if I've just been dense all this while, which
>is perfectly
>possible.

I also love _Tea with the Black Dragon_ and _Lens of the World_, but
never even made it through the Damiano trilogy.  I'd sort of
developed the idea that she never was much good at a sequel (based on
the Damiano books and _Twisting the Rope_) and didn't even try the
other Lens of the World books - afraid of more let-down.  This was
definitely a mistake, you'd say?

I've been trying all afternoon to remember whether I first heard of
MacAvoy on the list ages ago, or whether I grabbed _Tea with the
Black Dragon_ on the basis of the title alone.  Which would
definitely have done it...

Hallie