[DWJ] Best Of.

Aimee Smith s4028253 at student.uq.edu.au
Thu Jan 26 01:42:55 EST 2006

Well, I've been not very good with reading for most of this year -
finishing off my Education degree - but once I'd finished in mid
October I put all my energies for a while into reading all the books
I had been told I had to read and hadn't yet. This is, as far as I
can remember, the list of these fabulous books:

1. Best, Most Fantastically Wonderful Books I Have Read In Years,
(the sort you can't believe nobody did before, or as well, and wish
you could write yourself, cause they were so brilliant): Jasper
Fforde. At last. Truly inspiring. Mind-boggling and hilarious.
Especially the second one.

2. Author I read most of: Robin McKinley. Probably should have not
gobbled them so greedily, but I read Beauty, Rose Daughter, Spindle's
End and Sunshine (which I thought well written and mostly enjoyable
but I don't quite get on with necrophilia. My first vampire novel,
and I suspect it spoils me for others, as it's probably the best.
Tell me if I'm wrong...).

3. Unexpected wonder: Tea With The Black Dragon, by R. A. MacAvoy.
Anyone else read this? I loaned it from Kathleen, who demanded it be
read. I would like to pass on the recommendation... Yay! I just found
out that there's others, including a sequel! (It occurs to me that
you've all probably heard of it, as it won and was up for many awards
in the 1980s). Zen and computers, corporate crime, kidnappings and
romance, exquisitely and neatly described, and all in a leeetle book.

4. Disappointment - but with hope: Strange and Norrell. I am halfway
through this (as of early this year) and gave up. I am assured the
end is worth the wait and I am about to start on the second half. So
far there have been glimpses of grand ideas. :)

5. The Much Awaited and Very Good:
	Alyzon Whitestarr, Isobelle Carmody - A wonderful family, first
person writing that seems like it's myself talking, and a world-
opening way of describing things. A knack for characters, and a
searching for meaning, for what's wrong with the world and for a way
to heal it.

6. The Much Awaited but Not Yet Read:
	Ptolemy's Gate: waiting till I can afford it.
	Tales From Beyond the Wall – Garth Nix
	(and not deserving): Wheel of Time - penultimate volume. And (I
suspect) book two of Cecilia Dart Thornton's The Crowthistle
Chronicles (Loved the Bitterbynde trillogy).

7. The Very Good:
	Anansi Boys - Neil Gaiman. That man is a genius for descriptions. My
favourite is still Neverwhere though.
	Odd Thomas - Dean Koontz. Similar to the above, actually. Forever
Odd was good, but not quite *as* good. Maybe that was last year.
	The Wee Free Men and A Hatful of Sky, by Terry Pratchett.

Oh, and OT, movies I've absolutely loved:
Pride and Prejudice
Howl's Moving Castle
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Phantom of the Opera (despite flaws)
(I wish I could put Narnia on this list, but I think I can only put
the children in, as they outshone the movie. And they took away
Aslan's power, for heaven's sake!)

I wonder if I've missed any? Probably.

Aimee, who hopes everyone's read the good ones too.
:)
Happy new year, everyone!

***

"A supernatural event of world-shaking proportions, occurring
in a faithless time when only science is believed to have the power
to work miracles,
might appear to be the work of an extraterrestrial species
hundreds or even thousands of years more advanced than we are."

- Dean Koontz, The Taking.