Lots of books (was Re: [DWJ] Re: Hilary McKay)

Tue Jan 3 03:38:00 EST 2006

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 20:19:32 +0000 (GMT), Charles Butler wrote:

>Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com> wrote:
>
>  > I think I increased my library by almost
>eight hundred books in 2005, so there are a lot of books floating around
>that I just forget I have....
>
>  I thought you had a handy-dandy database where all your books (and thoughts about said books) were carefully logged? Don't tell me it's gone the way of Nineveh and Tyre - I've somehow been feeling that your doing that hard work absolved the rest of us, and am now crushed with guilt.

Most of the books are logged, but that doesn't mean that I personally can
remember the new ones.  :)  I had a major scare when the laptop computer I
was using died a final death and we couldn't immediately retrieve the data,
but you may continue to breathe easy and guilt-free.  I think I still have
200-400 books to enter, most of them in German or comic books, but that's
2800 beautifully and lovingly catalogued books and I wish I had shelves for
them all.

Most of the new books came in a single chunk when I inherited a friend's
library.  I am supposed to be selling the ones I don't want...gosh, that
reminds me of yet more tragedy and horror this past year; the only large
local bookstore that buys books has decided to purchase by appointment only,
and I am dithering between making an appointment and being seriously pissed
off enough to start my own resale business.  And I still owe my friend the
shipping fees I promised to pay him.  He had some really sweet stuff and a
lot of it was brand-new hardcover non-fiction.  I hate feeling guilty.

Melissa Proffitt