[DWJ] offtopic dialect question

Emma Comerford emmaco at tpg.com.au
Mon Feb 27 15:52:37 EST 2006

At 11:59 PM 27/02/2006, Roslyn wrote:

>>On Feb 26, 2006, at 4:17 PM, Katie Meyers wrote:
>>
>>>I've lived in CT almost all my life, and pigtails are 2 short ponytails,
>>>one sticking out from each side of the head.
>>>
>>>-Katie
>
>For me (Melbourne in Australia), this is exactly what pigtails are also -
>two bunches of hair (not braided or plaited) gathered at the sides of the
>head (and sometimes towards the back), with a parting at the back of the
>head. I used to wear my hair this way sometimes in my early teenage years
>and they were called pigtails. Plaits are when they are braided. (We don't
>generally call these braids, though they might be called braids if the
>plaits were lifted up and placed on the head.)

Weighing in a bit late, my Brisbane born and raised family agrees with the
two bunches of hair as pigtails. Although I don't doubt that people at work
will have a different set of opinions again!

If you have short hair and the pigtails are done up tightly they curl
towards the head like a pig's tail. The other things are plaits. I call a
braid a complicated plait thing that starts at the front of your head and
works backwards. I used to love having my hair done in a braid but could
never do it on myself.

And to make things more complicated, as a child I used to wear two long
plaits looped up to the top again (perhaps in an effort to help me retain
ribbons). It was cuter than it sounds (no scanner here sorry). I wonder
what this would be called?

Emma