[DWJ] offtopic dialect question

Roslyn rosgross at bigpond.net.au
Mon Feb 27 08:59:39 EST 2006

> On Feb 26, 2006, at 4:17 PM, Katie Meyers wrote:
>
>> I've lived in CT almost all my life, and pigtails are 2 short ponytails,
>> one sticking out from each side of the head.
>>
>> -Katie

For me (Melbourne in Australia), this is exactly what pigtails are also -
two bunches of hair (not braided or plaited) gathered at the sides of the
head (and sometimes towards the back), with a parting at the back of the
head. I used to wear my hair this way sometimes in my early teenage years
and they were called pigtails. Plaits are when they are braided. (We don't
generally call these braids, though they might be called braids if the
plaits were lifted up and placed on the head.)

Ros