[DWJ] offtopic dialect question

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sun Feb 26 19:30:04 EST 2006

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

> When reading a description of a "girl in pigtails", what do you
> imagine? Plaits/braids, or unbraided bunches (ponytails)?

On reflection, I find that I don't usually visualise in that much
detail, unless the situation requires; I just picture two vague lots
of hair and leave it at that.

Sorry, not much help.

> I'm particularly interested in what Australians make of this, as it
> is for a translation of Garth Nix's "Sabriel".

Ooh.

(Is there a reason you can't just ask the author what he had in mind?)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."