[DWJ] offtopic dialect question

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Sun Feb 26 17:28:54 EST 2006

I grew up in eastern Ontario, Canada - and "pigtails" to me are
shorter gatherings of hair, started above the ears but not yet on the
top of the head. I don't really associate them with "plaits" (or what
we called "braids") which started in the same place but were longer
and fell to the shoulders.

A "ponytail was a singular gathering of hair at the back of the head.
For a wonderful short book about ponytails, see "Stephanie's Ponytail"
by Canadian Robert Munsch.

widdy