[DWJ] offtopic dialect question

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Sun Feb 26 08:11:12 EST 2006

As in the past, I humbly ask the opinion of the people here gathered in a
question relevant to a particular translation:

When reading a description of a "girl in pigtails", what do you imagine?
Plaits/braids, or unbraided bunches (ponytails)? And what part of the
English-speaking world are you from?

"Google pictures" gives mixed results when I search for "girl with
pigtails", and I suspect there are regional differences for this usage. I'm
particularly interested in what Australians make of this, as it is for a
translation of Garth Nix's "Sabriel". Does the fact that I first heard of
Garth Nix on this list count as an Ob-DWJ?

Gili