[DWJ] Re: humor in fantasy

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Thu Feb 16 18:42:25 EST 2006

Jennifer said...

>Who else does gods well? Bujold, I think- I love the vision scenes in
>the Chalion books.

Oh, definitely.  Bujold's gods are great.  I have to love anyone who comes
up with a god called The Bastard. :-)  (And he's my favourite of the gods in
those books, too.)

David Weber's quite good at gods, too.  I really like Tomanak in "Oath of
Swords" and its sequels - he's the war god and he very definitely has a
sense of humour (without being comic at all).  I also like the way Weber's
characters, especially the hero, interact with him - I get very fed up with
characters who go "yes sir no sir three bags full sir" when gods pop up.
Weber's characters *argue* with their god.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
www.livejournal.com/users/dorianegray

"Worst fears realised darling Seth and Rueben too send gumboots."
- Stella Gibbons, "Cold Comfort Farm"