[DWJ] Tolkien/Tolkein was Re: humor in fantasy

Judith Ridge Judith.Ridge at det.nsw.edu.au
Thu Feb 16 17:28:51 EST 2006

On 16/2/06 7:39 PM, "Charles Butler" <charlescbutler at btinternet.com> wrote:

>       The latest newsletter from ACHUKA has chosen this as its book of the
> week - it looks like it would be of interest to quite a few of us here:
>

>   The Wand In The Word - Conversations With Writers of fantasy
> compiled and edited by Leonard S. Marcus
> (Candlewick Press/Walker Books)
> What a fantastic collection of interviews this is, beautifully produced with
> photographs of the authors in their childhood and youth, as well as how they
> look today. Leonard Marcus knows how to ask the all-important general
> questions - about daily routine, methods of revision etc. - as well as
> questions specific to each author's books.
> The thirteeen authors featured are Lloyd Alexander, Franny Billingsley, Susan
> Cooper, Nancy Farmer, Brian Jacques, Diana Wynne Jones, Ursula Le Guin,
> Madeleine L'Engle, Garth Nix, Tamora Pierce, Terry Pratchett, Philip Pullman
> and Jane Yolen.
>
>   But I can't find any reference to it on Amazon, and Google draws a blank.
> Anybody know more?
>
>   Charlie

I've got a copy! I haven't had a chance to read any of it yet, but two young
fantasy friends of mine (teenage boys who have long since progressed from
Redwall to the sorts of stuff you lot have been talking about in recent
days) had a look at it while they were staying with me (with one of their
mum's, one of my oldest friends in case anyone was wondering why I had two
teenage boys staying with me! Blame Franz Ferdinand...) Anyway, after that
long-winded explanation, they had a browse through it and thought it was
excellent. I got my review copy from Walker Books.

Not very helpful, I know!

Judith

--
Judith Ridge