[DWJ] Re: humor in fantasy

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Wed Feb 15 23:52:54 EST 2006

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, LWilkinson at slv.vic.gov.au wrote:
|I realised that the whole world of the Belgariad/Mallorean was really quite
|right-wing and racist. It was so obvious to me that Riva was meant to be
|the UK (small, cold island in the north-west of the world, is pretty much
|the boss of all the other nations...) and then the other "good" countries
|were various other western nations. Then there are those guys who live in
|swamps and talk to snakes and are all eunuchs - not necessarily BAD guys,
|but really, a bit NQR. So, Asia. (are they on our side? don't know. they
|eat spicy food: can we REALLY trust them?)
|
|And don't get me started on the very clear middle-eastern theme with all
|the Murgos. All a little bit too white-supremacy for me.

Oddly enough, the Mallorean -- which I otherwise find rather
stupid -- mitigates the racism quite a bit, because you actually
*meet* Murgos and Malloreans, and some of them are just plain
folks.  Emperors and demon lords and what have you, but just
plain folks.

Then in the Elenium and the Tamuli, the racism comes back with
such a vengeance I couldn't finish the books.  It's worse, there:
the good guys are pure European Knights Templar, and the bad guys
are wicked desert people, complete with whirling dervishes, dirty
and unwashed, and either evil pagans or pure innocent sufi
mystics.

Rubbish.

-deborah
--
Wes: "My gypsy curse sometimes prevent me from seeing the truth.  Oh, Buffy!"
Cordy: "Yes, Angel?"