[DWJ] Re: humor in fantasy

Katie Meyers kgmeyers at optonline.net
Wed Feb 15 23:11:23 EST 2006

I didn't have a problem with dryads because I think they come from
their own tradition that predates Tolkien.  Aren't there dryads in
Greek myth?  And they're used in many other places as well, one example
being a story I remember by Hans Christian Anderson.  I enjoyed the
Belgariad, but it is definitely stock characters.  Eddings even
acknowledges his debt to Tolkien and other writers in a companion book,
The Rivan Codex.  ObDWJ, she once wrote:
  Of course much of the stuff in the Guide will apply to Tolkien, who
invented most of it and is still head and shoulders above any other,
and to the Beigariad which is a pretty good reworking head and
shoulders above most of the others, in fact. As for the others .... !

-Katie