[DWJ] Re: Other Authors - and 1999

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Feb 15 16:22:40 EST 2006

> I saw someone recommend the Chronicles of Chrestomanci and Diane Duane's
> Young Wizards series on Usenet once, adding that "neither is humorous". On being
> pressed for details, she said "The Chrestomanci books aren't humor in the
> obvious way that the Rowling books are. Some of her books are absolutely hilarious,
> I'll  agree, and there are funny moments in the Chrestomanci books as well."

Well, there used to be a sub-genre of 'humorous heroic fantasy', at
least in the States, which I believe were marketed to 13-15 year old
boys. Piers Anthony, Terry Brooks, and the like churned a bunch out like
that...

I have to admit that at least the first HP did have a number of elements
of the funny-witch-school-story about it, especially the naming
conventions.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on
imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand."
	-- Harry S. Truman