[DWJ] Re: humor in fantasy

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Feb 15 16:16:25 EST 2006

> I read the first Eddings series and thought it was a complete ripoff of
> Tolkein. Some of the characters were different but the plot, landscape,
> creatures and just about everything else were Tolkein.

Hm... that's the way I felt about Terry Brooks, especially the Shannara
series. I didn't get that reaction from the Belgariad even though it is
self-defined basic quest fiction.

What's interesting is that I can no longer force myself to re-read Lord
of the Rings because Aragorn, Sam, and Frodo were the only characters I
really liked to begin with. I used to re-read it, and I can sometimes
still re-read the Hobbit (though it's better read aloud, actually).

I know Tolkein is Mythic and so the bleakness and the
character-faults-that-cause-ones-downfall are all supposed to be there;
I just somehow can't tolerate the mythic bleakness. Tom Bombadill and
the Ents were the passages I liked best anyway.

I found the Belgariad full of funny passages, and liked the way the
female characters were 'large' in the story.  Definitely not great
literature, but I found Polgara easier to identify with than the shadowy
females of early heroic fantasy.

My question is, who in Tolkein is Polgara a rip-off of? Looking for that
character would cheer me up immensely. Durnik, I guess, is Sam?

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on
imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand."
	-- Harry S. Truman