[DWJ] Re: humor in fantasy

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Feb 15 13:53:34 EST 2006

Otter said...

> Well, I had never heard of Eddings until this discussion, at least not
> to remember.  And when the discussion began, I was confusing him with
> Eddington.  How educational this list is!

::grin::

Well, just in case you haven't figured it out yet, he writes pretty generic
quest fantasy.  I quite like most of his books; they're undemanding fluff,
perfect for when I don't want to engage my brain, and have a certain degree
of humour.

If you're thinking of trying his stuff, the Belgariad is his first series (5
books of Saving the World).  Then comes the Mallorean, which is a sequel
series to the Belgariad, and is basically the same story over again, but I
think he did it better the second time round.  The Elenium is a trilogy
(unrelated to the first two series) which has some rather nice politicking,
and a sequel-trilogy named the Tamuli.  I wouldn't bother with any of the
rest of his stuff; it's more and yet more of the same - the first book of
his latest trilogy left me snarling, "If that man inflicts one more fucking
Child Goddess on me I shall travel to America and force him to EAT the damn'
book!"

Incidentally, while I don't doubt Juliette's memories of his books, I can't
recall anything Ent-like anywhere in them; in fact, he doesn't go in for any
non-human races that I can think of (unless you count gods).

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
www.livejournal.com/users/dorianegray

"Worst fears realised darling Seth and Rueben too send gumboots."
- Stella Gibbons, "Cold Comfort Farm"