[DWJ] Re: humor in fantasy

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Wed Feb 15 11:36:16 EST 2006

On Feb 14, 2006, at 6:47 PM, Juliette Curtis wrote:

> I read the first Eddings series and thought it was a complete ripoff
> of Tolkein. Some of the characters were different but the plot,
> landscape, creatures and just about everything else were Tolkein. It
> even had Ents, for crying out loud, although with a different name.
> It sent me into a fit of rage, indignation and boredom and I haven't
> bothered with him since. (I realise that some people enjoy Eddings
> work and my reaction is probably rather extreme....)

Well, I had never heard of Eddings until this discussion, at least not
to remember.  And when the discussion began, I was confusing him with
Eddington.  How educational this list is!

Joy Chant wrote a book called _Red Moon, Black Mountain_ which rips
off Tolkien rather freely.  However, she still manages to write what I
found a rather effective book [though I know not everyone agrees].  So
you never know ....

Mornings are a delusion of the
planet bound.