[DWJ] Re: humor in fantasy

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue Feb 14 20:20:24 EST 2006

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Kyra Jucovy wrote:

|On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 Devra at aol.com wrote:
|
|>         And there's the place in the (otherwise fairly solemn) first Eddings
|> series (of course all the other series he's done have just been rewrites of
|> the first one, but I really enjoyed the first one) where our Young Hero is on a
|> boar hunt, and is about to be treed by the boar, and thinks, 'Why am I doing
|> this? This boar never hurt me? I don't even like pork!'
|>      Devra
|
|Hmm, I always thought that the humor was the only worthwhile part of
|Eddings series, well, that and 'Zakath ;-).  None of the "serious" stuff
|did anything for me.

Ditto, though I confess I reread them (only the Belgariad; the
rest [insert rude sound here]) every couple of years with the
same urge that makes me eat pringles or sickly sweet caramel
corn.  I like the wit of the chracter interactions.  On the other
hand, they're so full of stock characters I originally assumed
the Tough Guide was directly based on Eddings.

Here's any Eddings book in a nutshell, via the Tough Guide:

Take:
1 Small Man
1 Imperious Female (probably a disguised Witch (Good))
1 Wise Old Stranger
1 Large Man
1 Serious Soldier
1 Teenage Boy (optional)
1 Slender Youth (optional)
1 Child (of the "likely to be either a God or..") variety (NOT
OPTIONAL)

Mix together to create your Companions.  Travel all over the Map
full of racial sterotypes; visit every location, each with a
unique Terrain (select one from each Terrain in the cookbook, and
don't forget the Vestigial Empire!).

Add copious snark for flavouring, and temper with excessive Stew
(optional variant: gruel) and many bleak looks and quiet
determination every time grim things are come upon.

-deborah
--
Kiss my ass, I bought a boat, and I'm going out to sea.  -Lyle Lovett