[DWJ] 1999

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Tue Feb 14 19:15:32 EST 2006

The main things that come to mind about 1999 are my mother's
death and The Cough From Hell.

I had TCFH from September 1999 to April 2000, and saw two
main doctors -- my PCP and a pulmonologist -- and finally
managed to break a rib coughing.  Luckily I was on the way
to see my doctor at the time.  What with a suggestion the
pulmonologist made about medication, and the Vicoprofen
I was given for the pain of the rib, that was pretty much the
end of it.  [Morphine derivatives inhibit coughing.]

I still tend to panic if I get a cough.

Well, come to think of it, I remember Y2K as well.  All
the computers in my department were Macs, so _that_
wasn't a problem, but the University mainframe was not,
and of course one could worry that the whole world would
go dark because of something nobody had thought of.

I know some good things happened that year, but
they're kind of overshadowed.

Actually, I can think of one really excellent thing that
happened.  My sister graduated from college in May.
She had started in September 1960.  She told every-
body she was on the 40-year plan, but finished a
little early.

If at first the idea is not absurd, then there
is no hope for it.

                                          - A. Einstein