[DWJ] Re: humor in fantasy

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue Feb 14 17:50:42 EST 2006

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 Devra at aol.com wrote:

>         And there's the place in the (otherwise fairly solemn) first Eddings
> series (of course all the other series he's done have just been rewrites of
> the first one, but I really enjoyed the first one) where our Young Hero is on a
> boar hunt, and is about to be treed by the boar, and thinks, 'Why am I doing
> this? This boar never hurt me? I don't even like pork!'
>      Devra

Hmm, I always thought that the humor was the only worthwhile part of
Eddings series, well, that and 'Zakath ;-).  None of the "serious" stuff
did anything for me.  But I have fairly vivid memories of the time that my
father drove me to my summer camp in middle school, and I found myself
nearly unable to get out of the car, because I was laughing so hard at the
part of the Belgariad where the young Asturian nobleman is trying to
explain his exploits to the increasingly horrified Garion.  I had a
similar reaction later on, to the part of the Malloreon about the academic
who is secretly a sorceror, and how his fellow academics decide to test to
see if he is really immortal. . . .  Yeah.  Those are definitely my
favorite memories of Eddings.  Those and anything having to do with
'Zakath ;-).

					---Kyra

---
"The best lack all convictions, while the worst / Are full of passionate
intensity."

			---"The Second Coming," William Butler Yeats