[DWJ] 1999 and DWJ's sense of humour

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Tue Feb 14 15:00:55 EST 2006

Sue said...

> I am certainly not tarring all goths or role-players with the same brush
> here,
> but based on this very small sample of goth-role-players (in Nova Scotia,
> in
> 1999), I must say I was always a bit bored because everyone took the role
> playing SO seriously. No one seemed to be having any silly fun at all,
> only
> serious, don't-talk-to-me-I'm-in-character-and-am-an-angstful-vampire fun.
> Despite my wishes, no one approached the fantasy in a DWJ-like manner,
> celebrating the genre while also having joyous fun with it.

Oh dear.  I'm into roleplaying, and have been a goth, and such behaviour
would be mocked mercilessly by the other roleplayers and goths I know (in
Ireland and England).  I think you just got a weird bunch.  (There *are*
times in roleplaying when you don't want the mood spoiled by the intrusion
of mundanity, but they're reasonably easily spottable - if I'm standing in
the middle of the room crying "I renounce you!" at thin air, the odds are
good I don't want someone to ask me where the nearest bus stop is right this
minute!)

Returning to 1999...that was the year we bought this house.  So the first
part of the year was much occupied by house-hunting, then there were a
couple of nightmarish months of organising mortgage, then moving (and
unpacking, ugh!).  And my 30th birthday party combined with house-warming.
Don't remember what I was reading that year, other than house brochures. :-)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
www.livejournal.com/users/dorianegray

"Worst fears realised darling Seth and Rueben too send gumboots."
- Stella Gibbons, "Cold Comfort Farm"