[DWJ] Re: humor in fantasy

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Feb 14 13:58:06 EST 2006

Devra wrote:

>        And there's the place in the (otherwise fairly solemn) first Eddings
>series (of course all the other series he's done have just been rewrites of
>the first one, but I really enjoyed the first one) where our Young Hero is
>on a
>boar hunt, and is about to be treed by the boar, and thinks, 'Why am I doing
>this? This boar never hurt me? I don't even like pork!'

I assumed that the Belgariad was meant to be parodic and hilarious, because
I couldn't read the books without getting the gigglies.  Later on I heard
rumours that he had intended those books to be taken seriously, and my jaw
dropped.

*Are* they meant to be taken seriously?

I didn't find the Malloreon series as funny, though, despite the running
gag about characters saying, "Hang on, we did all this exactly the same
once already"; somehow I haven't got round to anything else of his.

Minnow