[DWJ] 1999 and DWJ's sense of humour

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Tue Feb 14 13:51:48 EST 2006

On Feb 14, 2006, at 8:03 AM, shawyer at mail.utexas.edu wrote:
> That said, I must admit that while I love DWJ for her humour, and do
> read more
> "serious" fantasy, I generally do not prefer more obviously
> "humourous" fantasy
> a la Pratchett. Taste in humour is a funny thing . . .

It is, indeed.  As a rabid Pratchett fan, I have to ask if you've read
any of
the recent ones.  His books are getting darker with time.  That is to
say,
the ones he writes now are darker than the earlier ones.

Interestingly, the ones he writes for children are now, and always have
been, more serious.  I believe the only Pratchett book that ever made me
cry [other than Maskerade, which I first read when I was sick and in a
very fragile mood [I would tell you which part, but there are such
things
as spoilers] ]  is The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents [can't
tell you where -- spoilers again].

I can't conceive of not liking Pratchett, although I realize there are
people who don't.

On another paw, I can get pretty darn tired of Tom Holt.  But I find
Tom Holt much more unpleasant than Pratchett quite a lot of the time.

Did you try Jasper Fforde?

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you
commit atrocities.

                                                  - Voltaire