[DWJ] Other Authors - and 1999

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Feb 14 10:03:29 EST 2006

Hallie wrote:
> Well, I agee it's not off-topic, because not only is the sense of
> humour a shared theme, but it's the same kind of wildly intelligent
> humour, isn't it?  Although the brilliant physical comedy of the RSC
> is hard to find immediately paralleled in DWJ.

<pictures a slapstick sword-fight between LoCC and CL>

> But oddly enough, this was one of the very points which eventually
> lead to the 1999 survey, as someone complained of being unable to
> finish _The Dark is Rising_ sequence because it was so humorless,
> unlike DWJ.  So it would seem that that would be one person, at
> least, who generally wouldn't like the 'straight stuff', though
> whether her other tastes ran to comic in fantasy and non-fantasy, or
> only fantasy which wasn't high fantasy or whatever I've no idea.

There's a difference, though, between not-comic and humourless. A book
doesn't have to be intended as a comedy to have gleams of humour
lightening it a bit. Or not lightening it, I guess- dark irony can make
a noir even more noir. I certainly prefer one that does have humour in
it, all other things being equal, but then they usually aren't equal.
Cooper vs The Soddit? Cooper, please. (Although  I wouldn't call
Cooper's books completely humourless myself,  but I don't think any of
her protags make jokes to lighten the tension, do they? I think DWJ's do
from time to time, although I can't actually think of any examples. It's
three o'clock and I haven't had lunch yet, blood sugar falling...)
Jennifer