[DWJ] 1999 and DWJ's sense of humour

shawyer at mail.utexas.edu shawyer at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Feb 14 10:03:24 EST 2006

In 1999, I was dating someone who was quite goth, and we ended up going to
several goth fantasy events, full of role-playing and rules about in which part
of the room role-playing was allowed, and which part of the room was reserved
for non-role-playing partying, and the dance floor, which always seemed to be a
confusing combination of both.

I am certainly not tarring all goths or role-players with the same brush here,
but based on this very small sample of goth-role-players (in Nova Scotia, in
1999), I must say I was always a bit bored because everyone took the role
playing SO seriously. No one seemed to be having any silly fun at all, only
serious, don't-talk-to-me-I'm-in-character-and-am-an-angstful-vampire fun.
Despite my wishes, no one approached the fantasy in a DWJ-like manner,
celebrating the genre while also having joyous fun with it.

That said, I must admit that while I love DWJ for her humour, and do read more
"serious" fantasy, I generally do not prefer more obviously "humourous" fantasy
a la Pratchett. Taste in humour is a funny thing . . .

Sue