[DWJ] Other Authors - and 1999

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Tue Feb 14 09:26:45 EST 2006

> Melissa wrote:
> > In 1999, I moved to Utah, got pregnant, and spent way too
> > much time writing to this list.  Or something like that.  I'm
> > sure other things happened, but clearly they were unimportant.

In 1999, I moved to Pennsylvania from British Columbia to be with my
partner who'd been away for 2 years doing graduate work. We put
everything we owned into a truck and drove from the west coast of
Canada to central Pennsylvania. Five days, which included hte glory of
the Rockies and the beauty of Wyoming and the hostility of western
Nebraska and the hospitality of eastern Nebraska (where our truck
broke down).

But it was this move that returned me to DWJ. I'd read "Dogsbody" in
college, but nothing else. My first job in Pennsylvania was running
the children's department of a Barnes and Noble bookstore, so it was
my job (oh, blessed be!) to read books and get to know my section.
Here I re-discovered DWJ and found Phillip Pullman and Harry Potter
and Daniel Pinkham and Louis Sachar and Joan Aiken and Lois Lowry. I
also read my first George R.R. Martin book that year.

I also got to do storytime three times a week for two years - a
wonderful experience to see kids light up and laugh or sit in silent
expectation for an ending.

I joined the list sometime while were in PA, after picking up "Fire
and Hemlock" and doing an online search for DWJ. And the list brought
me to so much more, including Bujold and Pratchett and Brust.

We're in Madison, WI now and loving it, and the bookshelf is full of
things recommended here.

widdy
--
It is my belief that everything you need to know about the world can
be learned in a church choir.
iwriddell at gmail.com / riddell at perfectharmonychorus.org