[DWJ] Other Authors - and 1999

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Feb 14 07:08:32 EST 2006

Melissa wrote:
> In 1999, I moved to Utah, got pregnant, and spent way too
> much time writing to this list.  Or something like that.  I'm
> sure other things happened, but clearly they were unimportant.

In 1999 I was enjoying being a student again after the horrors of a real
job, at least until the horrors of doing the dissertation kicked in...
living in Sheffield, in love... Played Ophelia at the Crucible[1]... a
nice year, on the whole.

That was the year I read my first Patrick O'Brien book- as part of a
module on collection development, we had to read three books that we
wouldn't normally pick up. I went for a Mills and Boon (I was surprised
at how well crafted it was, which was snobbish of me, and could sort of
see the appeal, but found it dull and had no wish to read any more), a
Booker winner (Pat Barker's The Ghost Road- amazing, I read all her
others as well) and a sea story, the O'Brien.

I ought to do something like that again, go to the library and pick
something off a shelf I wouldn't normally go to, because I got two great
authors out of that exercise.

I think those were about my only discoveries of authors that year. The
public library was pretty inconvenient to get to, so I was mostly
re-reading my own books. There were still some Bujolds previously
published that I hadn't read, (I only found her after Komarr came out)
so I was happily going through those. I don't think I was on any mailing
lists or newsgroups, which seems very odd to me now!

I don't have a favourite girl scout cookie (our guide troup never sold
biscuits- I don't know if other British ones did). My favourite cookies
are some family Christmas ones, crispy oat vanilla ones and chewy
lebkuchen with lots of molasses in them. Commercially,
dark-chocolate-coated gingernuts. I must admit I don't quite understand
the poll results at http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/favourites/-
chocolate digestives as favourite? I mean, they're all right, but a bit
dull to come top. Funny world if we was all alike, etc.

Jennifer
[1] In the Reduced Shakespeare Company, where they drag an audience
member up on stage to be Ophelia.