[DWJ] A Feast for Crows

Ian W. Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Mon Feb 13 17:25:18 EST 2006

While we're talking about overlapping tastes in books . . . .

I seem to remember there being some (small, indeed) group of folks
here who also liked George R. R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire"
series.

I've just finished the most recent, "A Feast for Crows" and enjoyed it
as much as the previous 3. On one level, I'm frustrated that we only
get to see into the lives of half of the perspective characters, but I
understand why this had to happen. If it means we get the next volume
sooner, that much the better.

This book certainly sees some major changes in the status quo of some
of the main characters - with one making a startling return (expected,
of course, but with a serious attitude adjustment), one seeming to be
at least beginning to get the cumuppence deserved, and several more
continuing on their paths from seemingly one-note supporting players
to well-rounded, interesting protagonists in their own right.

This is Martin, of course, so we're left with several cliff-hangers
and questions - which, of course, given that the next book will deal
with different characters completely (Daenarys, Jon Snow, and Tyrion
most notably), we're not going to have answered or resolved for a good
long while.

Again, I found myself in several sections completely lost with the
sheer number of characters - too many Sers to keep track of to be
honest. That's one fault of this series, for me at least. I have
always had trouble remembering names of characters and Martin
constantly tests my ability to the limit.

But I love complex, grey characters. People who do good things and bad
things. Good people who make stupid mistakes (because that's what
good, trusting people often do). Seeing innocent people learn that the
world requires them to be less than innocent and hoping that they keep
their goodness while walking that narrow path. People we perceive,
through others, as horrible monsters being noble and self-sacrificing.
There are really only a couple of characters I haven't warmed to at
some level, one of whom, at least, who is truly irredeemable in my
eyes (hence the joy at the comeuppance occuring), and some we just
don't know well enough yet.

A joy at having it to read - and sadness that I'll have to wait for more.

widdy
--
It is my belief that everything you need to know about the world can
be learned in a church choir.
iwriddell at gmail.com / riddell at perfectharmonychorus.org