[DWJ] king of attolia

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Mon Feb 13 10:58:24 EST 2006

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
|I re-read _Queen of
|Attolia_ just before and found ANOTHER place where she messes about with
|words to deceive the reader.  I don't know whether to be annoyed or
|impressed that she keeps pulling it off.

I think I've always leaned more on the impressed rather than
annoyed side than you, but it's a little annoying, too; I think
she could do it without cheating, so why does she cheat?  But for
me it's just another minorly aggravating tendency that I can
ignore in an author I love.  Bujold, who makes us love characters
not by showing them be awesome, but by showing how much other
characters adore and are in awe of them (Cordelia -- the
character, not your daughter *g* and Cazaril come to mind).  Or
even DWJ, who sometimes uses her trademark chaotic climax to
avoid tying up all the loose ends she has created.  But in all
three cases it *works*, so I admire.

|Did they change the name of Samoas?  Crap.  I placed my order over the phone
|by way of my daughter, so I hope they got it right.  Those two are also the
|only ones I like, but I understand they now have Gingersnaps and I ordered
|one of those too.  Hope springs eternal and all that....

My understanding is that Girl Scout cookies are made by two
competing companies, and one of them has a trademark on the Samoa
name, and so some years ago, those of us in several regions had
our Samoas suddenly change our names.  In fact, a rumor started
that it was a decision that "Samoa" is a racist name.  But we all
still call them Samoas.

-deborah
--
Ye knowe ek, that in forme of speche is chaunge
Withinne a thousand yere, and wordes tho