[DWJ] Everard's Ride and The True State of Affairs

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sun Feb 12 15:18:57 EST 2006

Otter Perry wrote:
>So I thought I'd better finally get through The True State of Affairs
>while I was at it.  I've started it several times, peeked at the end,
>and started it again this time, but I'm not sure I'm going to make it.
>
>Are there folks out there who just love it?  And, if you do, what is
>it you like so much about it?

I love it sometimes and not others, depending a lot on my mood.  It's
interesting, though; it's a new take on the whole spear-carrier
business, or at least it was a new take to me when I first met it.  In
fact, I can't think of another text in which the "person from another
world arriving in a fantasyland" idea is treated in *quite* this way.

I'm reluctant to say anything too much of a giveaway, because I get the
impression you aren't much of the way in, but I do think it's worth
going through to the end, if only so that you understand one bit of
Farah's book on DWJ's work when you get hold of that.  She has analysed
TTSoA very much better than I can, anyhow.

Minnow