[DWJ] Everard's Ride and The True State of Affairs

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sun Feb 12 15:04:21 EST 2006

Well, after having it on hand for years, I finally read the novella
Everard's Ride.  If you'd asked me a week ago, I'd have said I
had already read it, but on reading it this past week, I have to
say I'm sure most of it was new to me.  I remembered the beginning,
but not the latter parts.

Hmmm.  If I understand the notes correctly, it was written in 1966.

It's not going to become one of my favorites, but I did enjoy it,
particularly bits that hinted at themes to come.

So I thought I'd better finally get through The True State of Affairs
while I was at it.  I've started it several times, peeked at the end,
and started it again this time, but I'm not sure I'm going to make it.

Are there folks out there who just love it?  And, if you do, what is
it you like so much about it?

I should mention that it took me a long time to get through the
beginning of Deep Secret, which is now one of my absolute
favorites.