[DWJ] [child_lit] Lyra, Ofelia, and Alice

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 12:32:24 EST 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Farah Mendlesohn <farah.sf at gmail.com>
Date: 31-Dec-2006 17:31
Subject: Re: [child_lit] Lyra, Ofelia, and Alice
To: Monica Edinger <monicaedinger at gmail.com>

On 31/12/06, Monica Edinger <monicaedinger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/31/06, Farah Mendlesohn <farah.sf at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The movie didn't quite work for me. My biggest single problem was that
> > the girl cast did not look hungry enough in a particular and crucial
> > scene, but I also had problems with the depiction of some of the
> > mimetic scenes.
>
> You know, that scene really puzzled me.  I sort of went with it, but
> it just seemed out of character and the situation.  Why would you eat
> those grapes?

It's a reference to a fairy tale (and also to Edmund and the White
Queen). The film is littered with homages, some interesting some--like
the red shoes at the end--a bit tacky.

The problem is that the protagonist is a reader of fairy tales, yet
she doesn't know enough to not eat (and she has been warned). Now. if
they had cast a child who looked as hungry as a Civil War child might
have been (daily ration in Barcelona, two slices of bread and 100g of
garbanzo beans in 1945), then she might have risked it, but she'd have
run like hell afterwards.

But that actualy brings me to the real "fantasy destroying moment".
When given the book, Ofelia opens it, and starts reading, at the
middle. And instantly every reader watching knows that *this* child is
not a reader.

Farah

--
Only advancing armies don't hide behind civilians.